- Interest Rate = 6.28% for loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2021 and before July 1, 2022.
- Interest Rate = 7.54% for loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2022 and before July 1, 2023.
- Origination Fee for loans disbursing before October 1, 2023 is 4.228% Calculate Fee
- Parents may borrow up to the total cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance received.
- PLUS Loans automatically go into repayment once the loan disburses, but parents have the option to contact their Loan Servicer directly to request repayment be deferred until after the student graduates.
How to Apply:
Log in with your FSA ID
- Start the PLUS application using the Columbia University school code: (002707)
- Complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note. MPNs are generally valid for ten years.
- Specify the loan amount requested; you may request the maximum amount of PLUS loan available (not to exceed the total cost of attendance); a specific amount of loan; or you may contact our office to notify us of the desired loan amount.
- Specify the period for which you are requesting the loan. The Loan Period is based on the semesters of the 2022-2023 academic year:
Fall 2022: 9/6/2022 - 12/23/2022
Spring 2023: 1/17/2023 - 5/12/2023
Summer 2023: 6/6/2023 - 8/15/2023
*Please note: Plus application processing will begin on July 15, 2022.*
Submitting the PLUS application via studentaid.gov will initiate a credit check. You will be provided with further instructions if the credit check is denied.
- You will have the option to request either a New Parent PLUS Loan or a change to a current Parent PLUS Loan. If you are requesting an additional amount of Parent PLUS Loan funding, please select “Change” and note the additional amount that you would like to borrow.
- We recommend not specifying a new total loan amount, when requesting a change to your current Parent PLUS loan.
- Loan applications submitted over the summer will be processed on a rolling basis. If you have applied for institutional financial aid, we will process your loan after you have received a financial aid eligibility letter.