Columbia Financial Aid and Educational Financing

Outside Scholarships

Home / Payment Options / Outside Scholarships / Outside Scholarships

Many Columbia students receive funding from outside organizations, including merit-based scholarships, tuition benefits from an employer, ROTC and Veteran’s Benefits (Post-911 GI Bill benefits).

The resources that students receive from outside sources become part of the financial aid award and enable students to reduce the Student Contribution and Work Study/Student Employment portions of the financial aid package. These resources cannot be used to reduce or pay the Parent Contribution, but can be used to cover the cost of Columbia medical insurance.

If an outside scholarship exceeds the total student responsibility, we will reduce the Columbia Grant by the excess amount. Please review our FAQ page detailing our laptop policy if you are a first year student with outside resources exceeding the total student responsibility.

How do I report my outside scholarships to Columbia?

All enrolled students should complete the Outside Scholarship and External Payment Form as part of their application for financial aid each year, even if they have not received any outside scholarships.

Admitted students will receive instructions on how to access the form after confirming their enrollment in the beginning of the summer.

If an outside agency requires a certification form to be completed, who should I contact?

Our officers can complete outside scholarship certification forms that request information about the cost of attendance and other financial aid received by a student. We can also certify basic enrollment information on that same form.

The Office of the Registrar can complete certification forms that solely require enrollment/registration information.

What should I do with my scholarship check?

Scholarship checks should be made payable to "Columbia University" and sent to:

Office of Financial Aid and Educational Financing

100 Hamilton Hall, MC 2802

1130 Amsterdam Avenue

New York, NY 10027

ATTN: XinHan-Jane Zhang, Special Projects Coordinator

Phone: 212-854-3711

Please include your full name and Columbia ID# in either the memo field of the check or accompanying documentation so that the funds can be correctly applied to your account.

Common Scholarship Search Engines

U.S. Citizen & Eligible Non-Citizen Students

International / Non-Domestic Students