Your 2022-23 FAFSA may be selected by the Department of Education for a process known as Federal Verification. If selected, Columbia is required to verify your family’s household and financial information on the FAFSA in order to confirm your eligibility for Federal Aid.
You can determine the specific Verification requirements by logging into our Financial Aid Tracking system.
In order to verify your custodial parent(s)’ household information, you will need to submit a Verification Worksheet. Please read the instructions on the relevant worksheet carefully; incomplete worksheets will need further review and explanation.
2. Income Information
All taxpayers, parent(s) and/or the student, must submit documentation of their filed 2020 U.S. Federal Tax Return. You may choose one of the following methods to satisfy this requirement:
- 2020 IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT): Transfer 2020 tax information directly from the IRS to your FAFSA. Detailed instructions are available here.
- 2020 IRS Tax Return Transcript: Requested online, by phone, or by mail from the IRS. Please note that only a Tax Return Transcript will be sufficient for this process; do not request or submit any other type of transcript.
- If you are having trouble accessing the system, please contact the IRS directly.
- 2020 signed Federal Tax Return and Schedules 1, 2 and/or 3, if applicable
- If your parent(s) were not required to file a 2020 Federal Tax Return, they must provide an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter. This document can be requested online or by mail using a Form 4506-T.
- Students are not required to verify they did not file a 2020 tax return.