Columbia Financial Aid and Educational Financing

Other Funding

Home / Graduate Students / Other Funding / Other Funding


Columbia University offers need-based interschool fellowships for students in any Columbia school or college. More information about these awards can be found on Student Financial Services' website.


Graduate Engineering students may choose to search for external funding opportunities outside of Columbia University to support their education and research costs. Students may use the Global Programs & Fellowship database to search for these opportunities.

Graduate students who obtain any type of external funding should report this amount to our office as it may impact loan eligibility.


Institutional aid is administered by academic departments and includes funding from institutional grants, fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, readerships, and preceptorships. All of these types of aid are considered institutional aid and can be awarded individually or in some combination, upon admission or to continuing students, by the academic department.

All prospective students may apply for admission to graduate programs in engineering with institutional aid consideration. There is no separate application for institutional aid.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program supplements the base benefits of The Post-9/11 GI Bill® by allowing educational institutions to enter into dollar-for-dollar matching agreements with the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Participation in this supplementary program is determined by Columbia’s participating schools on a first-come, first-serve basis and is available only to students who meet the 100% eligibility level for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. For more information, please visit the Columbia University Veteran Affairs website.