Federal Direct Loan
- Federal Direct Loans are available to all domestic graduate students. Graduate students are eligible for Unsubsidized Direct Loans and are limited to a maximum $20,500 for the academic year.
- Interest Rate = 6.60% for loans disbursed after July 1, 2018.
More information and the Federal Direct Loan application.
Graduate PLUS Loan
- Before borrowing a Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan, domestic graduate students should consider the Federal Direct Loan mentioned above.
- Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans are available to any domestic graduate students who are enrolled at least half-time
- Graduate borrowers may borrow up to the Cost of Attendance minus any aid received, but must meet eligibility criteria set by the Department of Education. These include passing a credit review and having a US address.
- Interest Rate = 7.60% for loans disbursed after July 1, 2018.
More information and the Graduate PLUS Loan application.
- Some graduate students choose private education loans when they need more flexible repayment options. Private education loans are loans borrowed from a private source, including banks, credit unions, and private lenders.
- Borrowing requirements; repayment options; and interest rates will vary from loan to loan and lender to lender. Make sure to do your research when considering a private loan.
- Columbia University provides a few lender options with its Suggested Lender List. This is not an exhaustive list of available lenders. Borrowers should review and verify the exact terms, conditions, qualifications, and disclosures associated with any loan product with the lender.
- Please use the following school codes for your private loan application: 002707-20
After applying and being approved for a private loan, make sure to submit an application:
We will not certify your loan until you have done so, which might delay payment of your student account.